"Learn to cook--try new recipes, learn from your mistakes, be fearless, and above all have fun!" — Julia Child

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

"You think cooking is a cute job, eh? Like Mommy in the kitchen?"

Do you have days where the words just won't come out?... Milo and Lisa know I couldn't even think of the word "bag" today... this blog entry could be in trouble.
First let me say, croisssants cooked by a French pastry chef that come straight out of the oven are absolutely heavenly!  Class came to a screeching halt on Tuesday when those delightful, delectable (thank you Thesaurus.com) delicacies came wafting in.  Even the chef instructor stopped to enjoy!  Buttery, flaky, airy bites heaven.  Speaking of heaven... there must be croissants in heaven!  I do believe heaven will be full of food - An "All Day Dinner on the Ground",  as sung by Reba Rambo (Denise, Jean, Cindy, if you are out there - does that ring a bell?).     I digress...
Tuesday was full of book learning.  Culinary leaders like Careme, Escoffier, Point, Lenotre, Waters.  Culinary strategies like the kitchen brigade which include sauciers, fritturiers, potagers, and entremeiers to name a few. (I sound ridiculous trying to say those lovely words out loud- I tried to say "poissoniers" and the chef thought I said poison-ers.  Not good.)
Culinary styles like grande cuisine, classic cuisine, nouvelle cuisine, new American cuisine, fusion cuisine.
Culinary technologies like...  I don't like talking techy.
All these (off to the Thesaurus...) "categories" must be mastered for my test tomorrow.  Which I will admit is open notebook.  You will be quite proud to know that I have typed all my notes and hopefully have a very exhaustive (need a different word..."complete"?)  paper to take in with me for the test.  I did think it may behoove me to just retype the textbook... is that cheating??  My memory just is not what it used to be.
My ears aren't quite what they used to be either.  My current chef instructor is from Switzerland and says "coffee" and "sauces" like he grew up with you, Gloria, on Long Island!    Then we had the French chef's entry with the croissants... all I really understood was the word croissant (that was all that was necessary).  Later in the day another chef was speaking something that sounded kind of like English... maybe he is from Poland or Katmandu??  I have now started to worry about my note taking... what if I thought my Swiss instructor said "nouvelle cuisine", but he really said New Vail cuisine.  Is there a "New" Vail to go along with the old Vail?  Maybe this is a type of skiing food ... my Swiss instructor was an avid skier!  No worries, I have plans to brown-nose tomorrow with some Swiss garden seeds (provided by kind Jim who just visited that lovely country) and talk about food called Rosti and Tartafay.  Do I sound like I have any idea what I am talking about?  Maybe Chef W. won't see through my ruse!
Since I have a test tomorrow I should... you thought I was going to say "study", but those of you who know me well know I was going to say... SLEEP!
Oh P.S.  Your homework is to plan the menu for your last meal on earth... mine includes Ribeye steaks, foie gras, bruschetta, Banana's Foster, Chocolate Molten Cake, Lemon Meringue Pie, and a Blonde Parisienne (a champagne cocktail).  At the end of this blog we will compare your meal now with your meal then!!

No comments:

Post a Comment