"Learn to cook--try new recipes, learn from your mistakes, be fearless, and above all have fun!" — Julia Child

Sunday, November 7, 2010

"If you're going to name a food, give it a name that sounds delicious"

My first test was Thursday.  I passed.  I missed one.  The sorrow that follows that one missed question may seem ridiculous, but the test was open notebook!   Honestly, how could I miss one?  I practically retyped the chapter for my notes.  True or False:  " Escoffier's kitchen brigade is used to organize  modern restaurant kitchens."   Well, okay most restaurants can't afford to have 12 or so chef's and commis in the kitchen, but I thought his general plan is still in effect... and how do I know this?  Maybe in the future, when I am asked a restaurant kitchen question I will base my answer on what I am taught and not what I "gather" to be true...  I think my obsession with this may be a little unhealthy.
Speaking of restaurant experience, of which I have none, I think my 160 hour "externship" is going to have to take place in a restaurant kitchen.  I was trying to think of a way around this dilemma.  I am not sure I am up to 8 hours/day, 40 hours/week,  in a high pressure kitchen situation.  Oh gee, I am whining already!
This Tuesday I am to bring my calculator with me to work on business management with my co-commis.  Hallelujah, my degree is Home Economics will finally come in handy!  Not to cast aspersions on my degree, but my use of the economics portion of it. 
I almost forgot to mention the reason for the title of this post - At my Saturday night gourmet group dinner,  one male gourmand named my bone-in pork chop "Jurassic Pork",  and although clever, and may be true of the chop's size,  I don't want to eat that.  Maybe that is a man-thing.  I want to eat something named "Cotelette de Porc" or "Cochon de Lait Rôti avec des Raisins Rouges." 

No comments:

Post a Comment