"Learn to cook--try new recipes, learn from your mistakes, be fearless, and above all have fun!" — Julia Child

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

"...and your thin for someone who likes food."

Mmm... mmm... mashed potatoes with braised short ribs, asparagus,  and a yummy cote d' rhone.  Dee-lightful!  That was dinner tonight with friends. 
But this post is about tiring Tuesday.  Good gracious my brain was about to burst just trying to assimilate Tuesday's mathematical information.  Writing out a recipe and figuring out it's cost isn't difficult work, until you include the words: method, unit, quotient factor, and food cost percentage.  Food cost percentage is based on a working budget and each recipe should be within a certain range.  Does this make sense to you?  No, of course not, because I don't fully understand it, and therefore cannot explain it with any precision.  And for those of you with accounting math brains, you don't count, you could probably do this figuring in your sleep...  C ÷ FC%= R ... That is all I have to say.  So let us talk about something more interesting than the test I am going to have on this tomorrow...
The recipe I chose to do a cost analysis on was a Quiche Lorraine (recipe from Thomas Keller's, Bouchon.  Why do you have to make the custard in two batches?).  I also had to do a plate diagram.  The problem is I cannot draw.  Ah, but Ron can, and since I was allowed to use photos, I decided having him draw what I purposed ( Quiche Lorraine with sliced heirloom tomatoes and an arugula salad) was not cheating.  He did a fine job (he used colored pencils), and hopefully can pull me out of the lower echelon of my math inability for a good overall grade. 
Some other things I learned Tuesday:  My chef instructor helped designed Gordon Ramsey's kitchen in London (the only thing I really know about Gordon Ramsey is he needs to have his mouth washed out with soap); we culinarians had fresh croissants again and they were just as good as the ones delivered to us last week - Bravo to the commis de patisserie (!!); there is a lot of math to do if you want to open your own restaurant and have any success; I stink at math.  
One more unrelated thought - my greatest challenge so far is road rage.   Yes, I admit it,  coming home at 5PM on the 5 after a tiring day is not a happy experience.  I am trying the book on tape thing -- it's not working.  Maybe I'll force myself to just stay in the right lane and travel between 55 and 60 MPH or 25 to 30 MPH depending on the flow of traffic:
    "God grant me the serenity
      to accept the things I cannot change;
     courage to change the things I can;
     and wisdom to know the difference."

I think I could work up enough courage to change the traffic jam at 5pm!!  Maybe I should pray for the wisdom to know the difference.  Did I mention my car isn't happy going less than 80 MPH on the freeway?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment