"Learn to cook--try new recipes, learn from your mistakes, be fearless, and above all have fun!" — Julia Child

Friday, November 12, 2010

"Let us toast your non-idiocy"

I am happy to say I only missed 2 out of 28 test questions regarding recipe factoring.  One was a stupid mistake and the other one was... another stupid mistake.  Yet I feel good about the final outcome.
Did I mention that Ron helped with my homework by by drawing a wedge of quiche, heirloom tomatoes and an arugula salad for my plate diagram?  It was quite good artwork.  My class and chef instructor were duly impressed.
Yesterday we learned how to calculate the Edible Portion price in relation to the As Purchased price.  In other words you can't eat 100% of an onion.  There is an edible portion percentage of different foods.  Milk is, of course 100% consumed.  I think we figured an onion was 84.9% edible.  I think factoring is going to my new favorite thing!  I am such a liar.
News Flash: It pays to know people in high places.  Acutally,  it pays to know people who know the pastry chef instructor at SDCI!  My work-colleague and friend knows Chef Y at the culinary academy, who yesterday, asked me to take some fresh baked rolls and breads to her.  I was delighted to, but equally delighted when he graced me my own bag of fresh rolls and croissants! "If thou tastest a crust of bread, thou tastest all the stars and all the heavens."- Robert Browning.
And in case you are wondering, I worked my road rage plan and when returning home last night and stayed out of the fast lanes. "Life in the fast lane... Surely make you lose your mind."
Next week is Safety and Sanitation!  Be prepared for all manner of disgusting stories of botulism and salmonella.

No comments:

Post a Comment