"Learn to cook--try new recipes, learn from your mistakes, be fearless, and above all have fun!" — Julia Child

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

"The potato is not your master... You master the potato"

Can you tell what is taking up space in my brain?  No, not the potato - knife skills.  When we come back from Christmas break it is our knife skills final and our Cuisine I final - mother sauces and small sauces.
You may be wondering why I am obsessed with this at this juncture... good question.  I'll obsess later.
Okay, I got up from my seat, made some coffee and so I'm ready to obsess again.  Did you think I meant a lot later?
So... yesterday was "modern" sauces; in other words sauces without butter.  Coulis, pestos, and chutneys, but we started with the last Mother Sauce - Hollandaise and it's small sauce Bearnaise - I broke my Bernaise.  B-R-O-K-E it.  We were taught had to "rescue" a broken sauce and it worked, but it felt tantamount to forgetting my knives... well maybe not quite that bad.  I think I let the egg yolks get a little too cool while adding the warm clarified butter.   We also made Buerre Blanc and Buerre Rouge. 

No comments:

Post a Comment