"Learn to cook--try new recipes, learn from your mistakes, be fearless, and above all have fun!" — Julia Child

Friday, December 17, 2010

"The best way to get rid of kitchen odors: Eat out!"

Fish stock.  It doesn't smell so good.  Lobster stock smells even worse.  Cleaving halibut bones into 2-3 inch pieces and skinning the tail,  or crushing lobster shells,  then standing over these teaming pots is not conducive to running out right after class for a night on the town - or anywhere else for that matter.  Unless, of course,  you are planning on clearing the room.  That perfume is best left in the kitchen.
Cleaning sheet pans, even after they have been deglazed, on which veal bones have been roasted is not for the faint-hearted either.  Personally, I didn't think they would ever come clean.  In the "veal bone" vein - we also made a remmoualge-  a re-wetting veal bones and mirepoix already simmered to create a basis for a heartier stock.  Did you know veal stock is simmered for 8-12 hours?  I used to like the smell, until it permeated my skin and hair, and now if I don't smell like the simmering pot I can just tolerate it. 
There is nothing necessarily intriguing about preparing and simmering stock, but like most things, once you put in the effort - the grunt work,  the fun has just begun.  So, Tuesday was the grunt work, and Thursday was the FUN - Sauces.
Why are sauces so delicious?  I told the chef "It's all about the sauce" - he laughed his French laugh and said I should have that saying made into a bumper sticker.  :-] 
My classmates and I are now working on Thee Five Mother Sauces.  From our chicken stock (not to confused with broth which is made with meat - stock is made with bones) we made the bechamel.  (It's funny, I feel like I should capitalize all these mother sauces to give them their due... so I will.)  The Bechamel and the Veloute (vel-oo-tay) are made from chicken stock.  From the Bechamel you create cheese (any type) and mornay (grueyere) sauces; from the Veloute you create the small sauce called supreme and then the hungarian, et al from the supreme.  Creole is a sub sauce from a delightful Tomato (mother) sauce.  The Tomato sauce is simmered with pork bones and mirepoix,  a sachet of herbs and spices, tomato puree and tomatoes.  All sauces are strained through a fine chinois.
An important element to most sauces is the roux - flour and clarified butter in equal parts cooked together to create either white, blond or  brown roux. Stock or milk is then added with a myriad of other ingredients depending on your final "small sauce".
I have made a supreme sauce (whose basis is the Veloute) for years when I make chicken pot pie, I just didn't know I was following the "french way".  I think I shall call Cuisine I, Cuisine II, and Cuisine III - The French Way I, II, and III!  I love The French Way.
For lunch our chef prepared some pasta.  We scooped up this corkscrew pasta, spooned the velvetty, luscious mornay sauce over the top and had it for lunch.  Mmm Mmm!!
Have I said how fun it is to realize I am doing what I dream of doing when I watch cooking shows?  To actually be standing at the stove with the chef,  asking questions and watching him work and then having him watch over my efforts is... divine.  

No comments:

Post a Comment