"Learn to cook--try new recipes, learn from your mistakes, be fearless, and above all have fun!" — Julia Child

Friday, December 3, 2010

"Hunger is the best sauce"

I don't think I was particularly hungry when the French chef was coaxed into making some sauces. They were soo ooo delicious.  Thursday we arrived to see chicken marinating and steak ready to be trimmed.  The chef demonstrated 2 different methods for cooking chicken, one marinated one sauteed with just salt and pepper, both finished in the oven.  Well, you know how the pan looks after the plain chicken is finished in the oven?  Just lovely and brown... so I asked what kind of sauce he would make with the drippings.  He looked at me kind of quizzically and sent students off to get the white wine, dijon mustard and heavy cream (my eyes are rolling into the back of my head just thinking about it.)  He reduced it and we ate it.  Then he got out the steak and sauteed one plain and one with a dry rub of paprika, oregano and thyme (no salt of course until you are ready to cook).  They were both good and you can imagine how the tastes differed.  THEN,  he cut off a couple more steaks and made Steak Au Poive with a brandy cream sauce with fond from the pan... I don't even know what to type, my fingers just hang over the keyboard trying to think of a word, or even a phrase to tell you how good it was.   Suffice it to say, after the Chef finished the sauce and dipped his tasting spoon in for a sample, he cocked his head and said in his heavily accented English, "Yep, I've still got it."
We took 2 tests.  One identifying herbs and vegetables - yes, I missed frisee, and I thought a big yellow squash was called a summer squash, it is called a yellow squash - oh brother.  I did identify correctly mace and chinese five spice powder which is a small miracle since I haven't used either.  The other test was 80 multiple choice, fill in the blank, essay and true/false questions over 3 long chapters regarding kitchen equipment, cookware, cooking techniques  flavors, etc .  I passed and as much as I am tempted to crow my success I shall not in this blog... hmm I think that was my subtle way of crowing.  Okay, it's my blog so I'm going to crow - 90%.  I told cute daughter Alyssa I am only as good as my last grade and the educator that she is reminded me that I am as good as my highest grade.  Isn't she a delight?  ;-]
The kitchen mapping project was turned in yesterday as well,  and for next Tuesday I only have 2 chapters to read.  PAR-TAYE (party).
Wait, wait, wait... I forgot to mention the caramel sauce I prodded the chef into making for us.  After carmelizing and sweating onions I thought he might be talked into a little sugar carmelization.  He was!  I love this chef!! 

1 comment:

  1. Gayle,

    You're amazing... Crow away... and do listen to your wonderful daughter... :)

    Cook on! . . . and write on, too!

    God bless! . . . . John

    ReplyDelete