"Learn to cook--try new recipes, learn from your mistakes, be fearless, and above all have fun!" — Julia Child

Sunday, January 2, 2011

“In examining the potential of individuals, we must focus on their strengths and not just their mistakes. We cannot be limited by what they may have spilled in the kitchen.”

My last post ending was quite abrupt.  Which felt like my life at the time.  On the 23rd of December I fell off the cliff - in a matter of speaking.  Exhausted from a long day at school making chutneys and chowders, pureed and cream soups I headed home anticipating our Christmas guests who had already arrived!  I love having family at Christmas and I had a house full.   I went over the edge simply because I had to be at work the next morning at 7AM - Christmas eve.  I had nothing prepared for our tree trimming party on the 24th or the full plan for Christmas day dinner or my son's birthday celebration on the 26th.  People would have pitched in and helped, but you see it was my responsibility.  I regrouped with the kind help of my loving husband and my sweet daughter, and asked for my work schedule to be cut back significantly.
When I begin something new there is a significant amount of self-scrutiny that accompanies the activity.  Truly, it is exhausting.  I analyze my abilities to cope, to succeed, to excel.  I do believe as my young classmate observed, I am an overachiever.  My plan for the new year ( I HATE resolutions, because I usually cannot keep them) is to release the overachiever without losing the aspirant I can be. 
Yes, Tuesday is the knife skills final and the written final over 4 chapters - Knife Skills, Mis En Place, Stocks & Sauces and Soups.  In preparation for the practical knife skills test, I have julienned, diced, brunoised and batonned for days.  They are not perfect, but they are the best I can do... and that is enough.  I have made extensive notes and reviewed questions on each chapter - I can do no more... it is enough. 
I still have a couple more days to work on my Hollandaise - because I certainly have not done enough. ;-]
Today's post was a little esoteric, but part of this process I call culinary school.  Stay tuned for knife skills test results!

No comments:

Post a Comment