"Learn to cook--try new recipes, learn from your mistakes, be fearless, and above all have fun!" — Julia Child

Saturday, January 29, 2011

“A cook she certainly was, in the very bone and centre of her soul. Not a chicken or turkey or duck in the barn-yard but looked grave when they saw her approaching."

Yesterday I fabricated 4 chickens. That is to say I cut them up into their usual pieces (with the exception of an "Airline" breast which has the wing drummette on it... a very strange portion of chicken - I think I have seen it... once.)  My best time in chicken fabrication was 9 minutes.  This morning I plan on shattering that record... after I have had at least 2 Americanos :-]  That smacks of drug enhanced performance,  doesn't it?  Happily, as far as I know, caffeine has not been banned from the kitchen!  I understand some chefs have friendly wagers regarding chicken fabrication speed.  Hmmm...  I'll take on anyone in the speed- trussing category, but knife speed?... not so much.  I have never had so many nicks and cuts on my poor little (or should I say elegant - I was tempted to say "big") hands!  There are some ways of using a knife that are so ingrained into one after years of incorrect use that trying to hold that dangerous tool any other way seems clumsy and inefficient.  I will say that here on this blog, but not in class.  Chef's are not particularly amenable to excuses for poor technique.
Thursday's class was veal and chicken,  but the stars were the Black Quinoa Pilaf and Sun-dried Tomato Cream Sauce.  I have not been much of a quinoa fan, but mixed with the rice it was delicious - the bacon didn't hurt either ;-] - other ingredients were: onion, carrot, red bell pepper - simmered of course in chicken stock, with green onions and peas to finish.  Now that is healthy eating I can wrap my head around!  The cream sauce is just what it sounds like - cream, wine (of course) and sun-dried tomatoes.
Tuesday is fish... hmm... I wonder what the sauces will be.  I know,  you think I only care about the sauces.  I do like fish, really I do... generally speaking.  Can I just say it smells bad to produce - when you have cut it up and prepped it,  the general smell lingers on your apron and coat... even after a short time it is not so pleasant an aroma and just think what you smell like by the end of the day.  After these classes I shall purchase fish fully fabricated in a lovely brown wrapped parcel ready to go straight into the pan - after seasonings of course.
Please feel free to comment on my facebook page or here on the blog and let me know if you are craving more information regarding recipes or ingredients.  For those who live near me I am going to have a Saturday class in chicken fabrication and other general knife skills - Free for those who can laugh, have a good time, and wield a knife safely!  Barn-yard fowl beware!
.

No comments:

Post a Comment