"Learn to cook--try new recipes, learn from your mistakes, be fearless, and above all have fun!" — Julia Child

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

"Today was good. Today was fun. Tomorrow is another one."

Although I have been quite inconsistent in blogging my experiences of culinary school I have decided it is not too late to continue on...
I have finished my class work and now find myself nearly done with my "externship."  I finally found out why it is called - "extern".  It is because I am still protected and monitored by my culinary school - boy they just don't let you out of their sight for a minute! :-)  To continue, I have been working at the Italian Bed and Breakfast and enjoying the challenge of plating 8 hot breakfast plates with all manner of egg dishes, red, russet, and sweet potatoes, crepes, rolled pancakes, breakfast meats, fruit and vegetable varietals, morning "desserts", hollandaise sauce, sweet tomato/basil sauce, balsamic reductions, caramel, whipped cream - and that just scratches the surface.
Today, among other things I made an apple galette and garnished it with homemade caramel sauce and hand-whipped cream.  (Any of my chef's instructors reading this blog?  I am following the make-it-yourself imperative!)  This dish is considered the morning dessert.  It was served with scrambled eggs in puff pastry shell with hollandaise, a hash brown style potato dish with thyme, onion, and garlic, and roasted cherry tomatoes, coffee, cranberry juice, and orange juice.  Why am I suddenly so hungry??
Chef Mary let me take the reins the other day and I made ham and cheese crepes with a fried egg on top, served with cinnamon/brown sugar sweet potatoes and a lovely fruit garnish.  The breakfast dessert was lemon/blueberry scones and homemade strawberry jam.  I know if sounds like I am bragging, but I am truly surprised when it all comes together and people like the final product.  Even the couple from Scotland said I could sell my scones there! :-0
I want to move to Scotland... I like bagpipes.  I cried when I watched Braveheart.  I am Scottish... among other things.  I think I could pick up their brogue without any trouble.  Ron and I could live on what I make hawking my blueberry lemon scones on street corners.  Hmm...
One of the most delightful things about this B&B is the visitors.  We have had guests from China, Poland, The Netherlands, Sweden, Norway, Germany, England, Scotland, Canada, Knoxville Tennessee, Colorado, Illinois, South Carolina, New York, Arizona, Pennsylvania, etc., etc.  What fun to serve all these lovely folks breakfast at 9 AM en masse at the round table in the dining room!
I may have been made for this job... I feel quite sure I like the cooking and the people together!
Graduation is August 12 at 6 PM.  I had my school coat altered so the shoulders actually fit, and I found out I don't have to wear the elastic-waist, black and white striped pants.  Zipp-idy-do-dah!  I can wear plain black pants or a skirt!! 
I am proclaiming,  like Dr. Suess, "Today was good.  Today was fun.  Tomorrow is another one!"

No comments:

Post a Comment