"Learn to cook--try new recipes, learn from your mistakes, be fearless, and above all have fun!" — Julia Child

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

“A hard beginning maketh a good ending.”

It is difficult to find the appropriate title for this final culinary school blog.  Other options were:
"Every end is a new beginning"; “If you want a happy ending, that of course depends on where you stop your story.”;  "It's never over til it's over."; or, “You won't realize the distance you've walked until you look around and realize how far you've been.”  But,  I think the one I finally chose was the most appropriate (and it is short) - "A hard beginning maketh a good ending." 
After reading through a few of my earlier postings, I am reminded of the stress of those first months... WHAT AM I TALKING ABOUT?  It was really a stress from the first to the last.  At this point I can admit that it was good stress.  Mind-altering stress.  Refining, revamping, sharpening stress.  I finally made it to the end... the good ending - graduation.  
I matriculated Friday, August 12th.  A day to be entered into the annals of Gayle's life history as a defining moment.  I was soo happy.  I was ecstatic. My feet barely touched ground all day.  I smiled and was friendly to all fellow human beings - so tolerant of their driving as I traveled the California freeways;  so benevolent to all tourists crowding my little town.  I think I was perfect on August 12 - that one shining day.  Well, truthfully, I guess you can't really be perfect if the only person you are thinking about all day is yourself. :-o  
I did my hair to impeccability; I ironed my chef's coat to faultlessness; I chose the ideal pair of shoes and chose divine, yet understated earrings... and then proceeded to harass my husband, sons, and sister to get going because I was afraid we would be late.  We were 30 minutes early.  :-)
When we arrived and I caught the first glimpse of my fellow students, I cried out, (to myself) "My people!"  I couldn't really say that out loud to young people in their early 20's.  Those friends with whom I had shared the kitchen trenches.  Those associates who had competed in the culinary arena and won the battle.  We graduated together, just like we started... together.
There was only one difference... I got the President's Award.  :-)
Oh yes, I did.

2 comments:

  1. Gayle - such a great read!!!!!! President's Award????? What does that mean? What did you do above "your people"? I am so proud of you - and your family must have been as well!! How high were your shoes?
    Love you, Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gayle... I just discovered your blog. AWESOME!

    Hope y'all are great.

    ReplyDelete