"Learn to cook--try new recipes, learn from your mistakes, be fearless, and above all have fun!" — Julia Child

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

"And just when you thought you were the coolest person in the room, I walked in."

Okay this Title quote is a little ridiculous, but funny.  I want to tell you about my classmate, Jack.
Jack and I are in competition... Jack wants to beat me.  I am not sure why; Jack isn't sure why.  Probably because I am just there. And now, guess what?  I want to beat Jack... badly, very badly!
Jack schools me in knife skills.  I school Jack in baking. 
Jack is a speed demon.  I am more methodical... interestingly enough.
Jack has tons of restaurant experience.  I have savvy.
Jack is always first in plating during our practical finals.  I always score the highest on written tests... except once.
As reticent to admit this fact, it is true that Jack beat me on a written test.  One time.  He was ecstatic.  He was elated.  He was annoying!
In the midst of his overblown, bombastic, extensive, celebration, I said,  "Jack, I am going to get you a T-shirt that says "I beat Gayle by one point... ONCE!'"  He told me he would wear it if it was black and the writing was white, outlined in gold.  Where did I lose control of this competition?
When we paired up as a team for the Garde Manger final, we rocked the kitchen.  :-]
I like 19 year old Jack... but not enough to ever let him beat me... again.

No comments:

Post a Comment