"Learn to cook--try new recipes, learn from your mistakes, be fearless, and above all have fun!" — Julia Child

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

"When I pass a flowering zucchini plant in a garden, my heart skips a beat"...

Zucchini is... yummy.  Wait, Wait, Wait!!  I know I am about to lose 1/2 of you.  Those of you who think zucchini is mushy or tasteless, unwelcome on any level.  Just hear me out. Please.

There is only one blueprint in the approach to zucchini which finds itself widely accepted by the masses. I know this because I have served it to countless people, some who do not take offense to the vegetable in question and others who abhor it.  The latter only acquiesces after a determined assault on their open mindedness, which is supposedly the call letters of today's culture, and that usually gets the door open to one bite... and that's all I need.
I am about to share the super duper secret method of fabricating a vegetable so disliked that I fear their price may skyrocket by the shear numbers of those rushing out to their local grocery to purchase them.  (Is zucchini a traded commodity?)  Lest,  I be misunderstood let me say, whereas I am usually a star secret keeper,  this tactic does not fall under the irrevocable friendship clause.  I did not create this method I am just divulging it to you.   
Marinate it.  Simple, uncomplicated, delicious and quick.

Here are some captivating ideas... I'm not yet a great recipe writer so I will share an outline of ideas which I have tried with great success:
  Ground Rules-  You will marinate (not swimming in it though; just enough to cover the surface of the slices) in lemon juice and a good olive oil. Don't you love the simplicity here?
    Idea #1   Make a lot of this because it will disappear faster than you can imagine!
                 Thinly slice zucchini (buy an inexpensive* hand held slicer if you don't have a mandolin)
                  Fan slices out on a serving plate either in a circular fashion or vertical rows or just pile
                     them up if you want to.                   
                  Sprinkle sliced leeks and/or chopped green onion over the gorgeous display
                  Generously (but not drowning), squeeze lemon juice to cover slices. Drizzle with a good 
                    olive oil (the better the oil, the better the final product)
                  Top with chopped herbs (use your favorite; I use parsley and thyme which most people
                    find inoffensive),  Parmesan, Boursin (you'd be crazy not to use this cheese), kosher salt 
                    and pepper.  Here is your license to play with flavor...  just don't use any overpowering
                    flavor like garlic or red pepper, etc.
                  Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate until the zucchini softens.  (Don't ask how
                     long this takes...  30-60  minutes maybe :-< ) Serve as appetizer or side.  This is really 
                     fresh and lends itself to summer, or those of the dieting persuasion,  but read 
                     on for cooler weather ideas...
     Idea #2 
             Implement Idea #1 but place all zucchini, lemon juice,  olive oil, salt and pepper
                      into a plastic bag.  
                   Shake to cover all slices.  
                    Cover this mixture over a large slice of butter-sauteed French bread (out of this
                       world!),  flatbread, foccacia, or ciabatta.
                    Sprinkle with the herbs, Boursin (yum),  Parmesan, someone even told me I added
                      bacon once...  Well,  that was brilliant, if I do say so myself.

     Idea #3  
            Thinly slice zucchini (at least 3-4) and put into a plastic bag along with a generous (don't                      drown the poor things) amount of lemon juice and the good olive oil.  Shake to 
                     cover all surfaces of slices and refrigerate for about an 1 hour.
                  Either buy ready made flatbread or precook a flat, thin pie crust until just done (not brown)
                  Spread a thin layer of Boursin (everytime I type that word my mouth starts watering) on 
                      this base and cover with concentric circles of marinated zucchini. Drizzle with a little 
                      more really good olive oil.
                  Bake at 400 degrees until zucchini just starts to brown... 15 minutes maybe. 
                  Sprinkle with herbs, thoroughly cooked bacon (possibly) and parmesan and serve.  This 
                      is good even when it cools to room temperature which makes it a great appetizer to
                      share when you offered to bring something to a friends dinner party.

There are a hundred thousand ideas of how to use this scrumptious mixture to delight your family or guests.  Imagine away!
 
*I was going to say cheap, but my sister says that is a less appealing adjective.

P.S.  Thanks Facebook friends for all your comments on the last blog!  Every one was helpful and all comments are fun to read.  One day I'll figure out how to respond separately to each of you.  Whereas, I can cook,  I can't do all things Facebook.
                      
    

  

2 comments:

  1. I think your heart needs to skip a beat right on over to your neighbor's house to try those recipes ONE MORE TIME to make sure they are cookbook worthy! (Which I know they are)! 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's probably inevitable when they shut down my kitchen and I need to use yours ;-)

      Delete