"Learn to cook--try new recipes, learn from your mistakes, be fearless, and above all have fun!" — Julia Child

Wednesday, January 14, 2015

"A recipe has no soul. You, as the cook must bring soul to the recipe."

I had the pleasure of teaching my first official cooking class last week... well, it was a barter deal but that's like getting paid, right?  Anyway, it was a lovely couple who were interested in learning about seafood.
As I contemplated and planned prior to the event, I was not shocked to notice some of the old cooking school compulsiveness bubbling to the surface.   It was a bit like the market basket finals of old in that there was a specific time frame and 3 dishes to demonstrate.  Yet I reminded myself, I am totally in control here, took a deep breath and enjoyed every minute of the process.
Here is the menu: 
    Three Small Plates
       Crab Cakes Three Ways   with Spicy Thai Aoili
                                                    Lime Basil Vinaigrette
                                                    Lemon Garlic Remoulade
       Perfectly Sauteed Scallops   with a Green Apple Spring Mix Salad/ splash of lime
                                                            juice and Basil Olive Oil
       Chilean Sea Bass  with Tomato, Shallot, Basil Salsa finished with a Parmesan Panko
                                                            Crust

Everyone (all two of them)  seemed happy at the end of 1 1/2 hours of cooking and eating... including me!  And I have another class to teach next week!  This is a free class because I need some guinea pigs!

The cookbook is developing some shape. I am working hard on stock and sauce recipes right now and some recipes in which to use them and my dear colleagues are working on cooking the recipes and book publishing details.  But this work needs a title, and we three haven't been struck by anything yet...
    Three Cooks Create Culinary School in Your Kitchen... too long
    Culinary School for Dummies... too offensive
    Culinary School - In Abbreviation... too ridiculous.
    Home Cooks Learn Culinary School Secrets... I like the secrets part
Any ideas??
   
   
                                                              
                                                     

1 comment: