"Learn to cook--try new recipes, learn from your mistakes, be fearless, and above all have fun!" — Julia Child

Saturday, February 26, 2011

"Cure for an obsession: get another one."

I'm baa-aack.  After two weeks of the restaurant design obsession I am ready to re-enter into the real world, and my blog.  What did I do for those two weeks?  My team of three did the following: 
1. Create a restaurant concept, mission statement and design.  With a scaled floor plan for restaurant  
    and kitchen design
2  Create a menu in keeping with our concept.
3. For each dish, be it entree, side, appetizer, dessert we wrote out standardized recipes, including all
    sub recipes.  Each recipe had to have a food cost percentage which reflected a yield analysis and
    each  plate formulated to portion costing.
4.  Job descriptions written for front and back of the house.
5.  Scheduling written for one full week
6.  Full on budget including benefits, insurance... everything
7.  A bound book which includes all information and recipes
8.  Ad infinitim
On Friday we presented our restaurant concept, design, and budget to the class as if they were
 investors.  We had an over 120 page bound book,  a project board, a hard copy of our menu (like you would get in a restaurant) and our team did a faux website.  
This is what I did (literally) for 2 weeks - including the weekend.  I went to class.  I came home and worked on my computer until I went to bed.  When I wasn't in class I worked on my computer.  When I wasn't working on my computer I was working on the project board.  I did host a church get-together/
business meeting - that was the only fun I had. 
Can you say tired?  On Thursday one of my project partners and I were so exhausted everything we said to one another was funny.  So funny we were in tears.  Now that is tired!
We did a great job, I think.  Grades in 2 weeks.  I don't really care what the grade is... I feel good about our work and this class is over.
NOW it is time for another obsession!!!  My poor husband.  As long as the obsession means cooking some meals I think he is okay with it. :-]
And it is back to the baking class - Yippee!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment